Saturday, August 17, 2013

What Are The Laws Restricting Registered Sex Offenders From Traveling Across the U.S. or Internationally?

This is STILL the #1, most viewed post on this blog 2 years later.

As of mid-September 2015 more than 3,300 views for this one post! 

Update May 2, 2014:  

On April 7, 2014 I made a dedicated page on this topic that I will keep current.  

The page is Traveling as a Registered Sex Offender off to the right side of the screen under Directory.  

Thank you for following this blog!  

Mary Devoy

Update September 17, 2013:

Looks like legitimate travel abroad is becoming more impossible.

     Draft law banning pedophiles from entering Russia submitted to Duma, September 16, 2013

     Sex Offenders Will Need To Notify Before Leaving Canada, September 16, 2013

Update September 6, 2013: 

Child molester in Macomb County stopped from leaving country, September 6, 2013
Reese was formally charged Friday in 46th District Court in Southfield with failure to provide the registry of his plan to leave the country at least 21 days prior to departure and failure to provide a copy of his passport. The felonies are punishable by up to four years in prison.

Original Post:
Whether it’s traveling for school, work, family or fun, travel restriction inquires for Registered Sex Offenders seem to be the #1 inquiry that I have encountered over the 5 years of being a volunteer advocate for RSO’s and their family members.

With college students leaving home in the next 2 weeks and Labor Day around the corner I decided to compile all the travel information I have accumulated over the years and turn them into a post. 

I want you all to have a safe vacation and stay compliant at the same time. 

Enjoy your time off!


Traveling While on Probation:

If you are under State or Federal probation Supervision you can not leave the state without prior approval from your Probation Officer and I always recommend you get that approval in writing, not verbally.

If you are NOT on probation and you are legally allowed to leave Virginia for a visit to another state or even another country there is NO Virginia law mandating you must advise your VSP Trooper that you are going out of town for more than 3 days even though back in 2010 some VSP Troopers were telling RSO’s this.

Virginia Law for RSO’s Staying Overnight Elsewhere within the State of Virginia:

As a Virginia RSO you can legally stay at someone else’s (parent, grand-parent, girlfriend, boyfriend, sibling, friend, vacation rental, motel, campground, etc.) place of residence for up to 14 days within a calendar year. Not within a month and not in a row (consecutive days) before you are legally obligated to register their address as a residence to be added to the Virginia Sex Offender Registry.

If an RSO is attending a college or university in Virginia they have 3 days (not 3 business days) to notify the Virginia State Police in person of their enrollment or completion of classes at the school.   

               It does not matter if it’s part-time or full-time classes.