Virginia Legislature Unanimously Repeals Unconstitutional Oral Sex Ban
By Josh Isreal March 6, 2014
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/03/06/3369331/virginia-sodomy-repealed/#a Legislature Unanimously Repeals Unconstitutional Oral Sex Ban"
The Virginia House of Delegates passed, 100 to 0, a bill Thursday that will finally eliminate an unconstitutional sodomy ban than made oral and anal sex — even between consenting married couples — a felony. The legislation, which passed the Senate unanimously last month, will now go to Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) for his signature.
After conviction of a man charged, under
Against Nature law, of soliciting a 17-year-old female for oral sex — a felony
under the statute. Because that law — first enacted in 1950 to prohibit oral
and anal sex, as well as bestiality — had not been updated, the court ruled it was unenforceable, putting the
convictions of other sexual
offenders and child predators at risk. Virginia
In response, Sen. Thomas A. Garrett (R) filed a bill in December that would have eliminated the ban on adult consensual sodomy, but would have made oral sex between 17-year-olds a felony, even if they were legally married. After ThinkProgress reported on this possibly unintended consequence, Garrett and the Senate Courts of Justice Committee agreed on a substitute version that generally treats all sex equally.
More than a decade after the Lawrence decision, several other states still have sodomy bans on the books, including Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah.
Past Post on SB14:
Previous News Articles about SB14:
· Sodomy bill passes Senate, moves to House, February 8, 2014
Scraps Plan To Make
Oral Sex Between 17-Year-Olds A Felony , January 16, 2014 Virginia
· Va. Sen. Garrett’s revision of anti-sodomy law advances; he says point is to protect minors, January 15, 2014
· irginia senator's sodomy bill gains traction, January 15, 2014
· Virginia anti-sodomy bill could punish consenting teens, January 14, 2014
· Lawmaker clarifies ‘crimes against nature’ proposal, January 13, 2014
· "Cuccinelli Conservative" Wants to Ban Teenage Oral Sex in
January 10, 2014 Virginia
· This Guy Wants To Outlaw Oral Sex Between Teenagers In
January 10, 2014 Virginia
· Ultra-conservative senator in
is proposing a
bill that would make oral sex between teenagers a FELONY, January 10, 2014 Virginia
· Virginia predicts need for more prison beds if oral sex id banned for teens, January 9, 2014
· New Virginia Bill Would Make Oral Sex Between 17-Year-Olds A Felony, January 8, 2014 http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/01/08/3133011/virginia-sodomy/
New "Crimes Against Nature" Law, January 8, 2014 Virginia