First a quick summary of HR4573 's movement and amendments patroned/sponsored by New Jersey Representative Chris Smith.
- May 6, 2014 - Submitted and titled, To protect children from exploitation, especially sex trafficking in tourism, by providing advance notice of intended travel
- May 9, 2014 - “marked up” by the House Foreign Affairs Committee and ordered to be Reported in the Nature of a Substitute (Amended) by Unanimous Consent.
- Unknown date – Re-titled to International Megan's Law to Prevent Demand for Child Sex Trafficking.
- May 20, 2014 – News article announces Virginia Congressman and Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s office along with other Republican Representatives built an anti-Human Trafficking website promoting 5 completely different bills all claimed under the Human Trafficking umbrella including the Bring Back Our Girls Nigerian Africa campaign against Muslim extremist group Boko Haram, ensuring the successful passage of all 5 bills.
- May 20, 2014 – per Congress.gov
- Ordered to be Reported in the Nature of a Substitute (Amended) by Unanimous Consent.
- 5:33pm –
· Mr. Royce moved to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended.
· Considered under suspension of the rules.
· DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H.R. 4573.
- 5:57pm –
· On motion to suspend the rules and pass the bill, as amended Agreed to by voice vote.
- The substitute/amended text of HR4573 that was passed out of Committee on May 9th and debated and passed by the entire House on May 20 was still NOT posted on-line to review.
- Only on Congress.gov (not on GovTrack.com) on May 21, the amended version of HR4573 was available to read.
One of the two objections I had had been removed:
Sec. 5.Authority to restrict passports
- Number of Co-Sponsors/Patrons for HR4573 for has grown to 20.
- HR4573 has now been sent to the U.S. Senate Foreign Affairs Committee
The Secretary of Homeland Security would still establish within the Child Exploitation Investigations Unit of United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) of the Department of Homeland Security a Center, to be known as the Angel Watch Center. The U.S would notify other countries of all Registered Sex Offenders (RSO) who are traveling to their country. And all countries would notify the
U.S. of all foreign Registered Sex Offenders
(RSO) who are traveling to the U.S.
What RSO’s would be included?