reminded them that the Virginia Sex Offender Registry already lists
approximately 83% of the Offenders as Violent leaving just 17% as Non-Violent
and with SB1138 we would move Virginia closer to a single-tiered classification
system where everyone listed is considered the same and no ever has the ability
to petition for removal. Making it worthless for the public who are attempting
to decipher who poses a true threat and who has just been swept up in such mass
legislative mandates like this one.
I motioned to where the current VSP Legislative Liaison had been sitting just 2 minutes ago when I made my first statement and we all realized he had left the room all together to avoid being asked to participate in the conversation. I think this surprised the Committee members that the VSP Representative had bailed from the room ......this reinforced my claims of how the VSP has been applying legislative increases of misdemeanors to felonies retroactively onto existing RSO’s even though the specific required section of statute was never included in those bills that became law years back.