Twitter

Monday, March 30, 2015

Update: Virginia Delegate Jeffrey Campbell’s “Recipe for Disaster” Bill HB1366 Has Been Signed by Governor McAuliffe to Become Law in Virginia on July 1st 2015!

 
Virginia Delegate Jeffrey Campbell’s Bill HB1366 Sex offenses prohibiting entry onto school or other property; hearing (a deceptive title) was signed into law by Governor Terry McAuliffe this past weekend. 

I had hoped the statements the ACLU of Virginia made to the media (below) against HB1366 after I single-handedly opposed it in the Virginia House Courts of Justice Criminal Sub-Committee meeting (even after the Virginia Senate amendments, weeks later) would have resonated with our Governor, but they fell on deaf ears. 

Past News Articles on this Bill:
·         Campbell: Sex offender bill would stir up angry mobs, February 12, 2015
·         Should sex offenders be allowed to visit their own child at school? February 3, 2015
·         ACLU questions new sex offender bill, January 20, 2015
·         VIRGINIA ACLU: New sex offender bill 'invitation to throw stones’, January 19, 2015
·         Campbell to co-sponsor bill to keep training center open, January 9, 2015
                Delegate plans to introduce several bills in General Assembly session

Myth, fear, hate, vengeance and prejudice wins out yet again while facts, equal justice under the law, unbiased and fair hearings before a judge and the very foundation of our Rule of Law are not just trampled  but thrown-out-the window by our elected officials because they deem certain citizens “unworthy” and they continue to allow their emotions to write and pass our laws. 

Past Posts, and Action Alerts on this Bill:
·         March 7, 2015
·         February 17, 2015
·         February 11, 2015
·         February 10, 2015
·         February 3, 2015
·         January 29, 2015
·         January 20, 2015
·         January 17, 2015
·         January 1, 2015
·         December 4, 2014 

I tried my best to stop HB1366 from becoming law, I’m sorry everyone! 

This year was my 7th General Assembly session and sadly it was one of my most unsuccessful ones. Right now I feel disappointed and defeated. I can’t believe after 7 years of advocating for you and your families I am still more often than not the only person who stands up in opposition to these hateful bills every year in Richmond.

I oppose bills that have nothing to do with me or my family, but I stand up against them because it’s the right thing to do. And yet, I continue to stand alone (most of the time).

I receive email’s daily from readers complaining about the registry, the restrictions and the collateral damage but when new and harsher laws are being proposed, where are YOU? 

I receive email’s daily from readers asking for my help to get them off the registry, to do a court challenge (pro-bono) or to get them exonerated. Most email’s are about you, what you need, what you want, what I should do to help YOU!

 
The majority of email’s I receive are requests for me to do something for YOU! 

Selfishness is not only unattractive, but it is self-defeating. 

Great achievement will only occur because of sacrifice. 

Just because a hateful bill doesn’t affect you directly doesn’t mean you should remain silent about it, I don’t. We need to stand up for each other, for the Constitution and for successful reentries back into our communities.  

Cherry-picking will get us no where.  

And for those of you who sarcastically advise me I hope that terrible bill becomes law, I hope more people are added to a public registry, I hope more people will be made to suffer like I have…….These responses are cowardly, cruel and ignorant. 

Until the current 21,500+ Virginia RSO’s, their spouses, parents, significant others, siblings and children are willing to step out of the darkness and ask, no tell……… our Virginia lawmakers why these hateful proposals should NOT become law we will continue to see bills like HB1366 and Robby’s Rule becoming law in the Commonwealth, year after year.  

And as long as you aren’t showing up, speaking out or contributing to stopping new and harsher laws from passing or to reform the current system…. DO NOT send me your email’s whining about the outcome of the annual Virginia General Assembly session. 

I’m dong my very best. What are you doing?

Mary Devoy