Twitter

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Action Item #2 of 2: Is the VSP Disseminating the New VSP Sex Offender Pamphlet in Your District?


Dear Readers, 

I need to hear from you because I have been unable to get any answers from the Virginia State Police for the last few weeks on this matter. 

A reader sent me the new VSP Sex Offender Pamphlet (it’s above). 

1. I searched the Virginia State Police website looking for a PDF of the Pamphlet, I found nothing.
 
2. I called the VSP and talked to someone about a bullet point that was in the January 2015 version presented to the Virginia Legislature by Senator Marsden but is missing from the above copy, I did not get an answer on why it was removed.
3. I then emailed a few VSP folks suggesting a date be added to the pamphlet for version control, that a PDF be added to the VSP website and asked about the missing bullet point. Again I was not given an answer, I’ve been put off for 2 more weeks and I don’t have confidence I will get an answer at that point either! 
 
I’m wondering if these pamphlets are on the counter at the VSP Barracks for RSO’s to grab one or if they have to know the pamphlet exists and must request one. 

I am also wondering if VSP Troopers and Compliance Officers have copies of this pamphlet in their vehicles and are offering them to RSO’s during residential checks or not. 

So I am now turning to you hoping to hear back, marydavyedevoy@comcast.net please title the subject line of your email VSP Pamphlet. 
 

1. In August did you visit your district VSP Barracks? Yes or No
·         If Yes what city is that location in?
·         Did you see a stack of VSP Pamphlets on the counter? Yes or No
-          If Yes did you take one? Yes or No
-          If Yes did a VSP Trooper, Compliance Officer or employee say anything to you about it?
·         Did a VSP Trooper, Compliance Officer or employee offer you a VSP Pamphlet? Yes or No
-          If Yes did you take one? Yes or No
-          If Yes did a VSP Trooper, Compliance Officer or employee say anything to you about it?
·         If you have a copy of the handout, take a photo of it and include it in the email.  
 
2. In August did you speak with your VSP Trooper or Compliance Officer either on the phone or in-person? Yes or No
·         If Yes did they advise you or offer you the new VSP Pamphlet?  Yes or No
-          If Yes did you take one? Yes or No
·         If you have a copy of the handout, take a photo of it and include it in the email.
·         What city/county are you in? 
 
3. In September do you plan on visiting your districts VSP Barracks? Yes or No
·         If Yes what city is that location in?
·         If Yes, please let me know:
-          If you see stack of VSP Pamphlets on the counter, Yes or No
§         If you take one, Yes or No
-          If a VSP Trooper, Compliance Officer or employee offers you a VSP Pamphlet? Yes or No
§         If you take one, Yes or No
·         If you have a copy of the handout, take a photo of it and include it in the email. 
 
4. In September if you speak with your VSP Trooper or Compliance Officer either on the phone or in-person let me know if:
·         If they advise you or offer you the new VSP Pamphlet?  Yes or No
-          If Yes did you take one? Yes or No
·         If you have a copy of the handout, take a photo of it and include it in the email.
·         What city/county are you in? 

If the VSP is disseminating these pamphlets and they intend to update them every July 1st when new retroactive laws take effect and then re-disseminate them, then I am thrilled that after 7 years of advocating for Virginia’s RSO’s to be advised of their legal obligations the VSP is doing that. 

But, if the true intent is to make a pamphlet that is never posted online, that is never disseminated to those it applies to and that is never revised after new laws are passed then it’s a complete fa├žade and I will continue to shine a light on this serious issue. 

I appreciate any information you can supply on this issue. 

Help me help you. 

Mary Devoy