Every two years
Virginias 100 Delegates run for re-election and every
40 Senators run for re-election. Virginias
This November 3, 2015 ALL 140 seats are up for election.
- Do you know what District you reside in?
- Do you know who your current Delegate and Senator are?
- Have you ever emailed, called them or attended one of their public events?
- Are they running for reelection this November?
I would hope you answered ‘YES’ to to the first 3 questions. But if not that’s OK, it’s never too late.
To find our what District you live in just enter your home address at this link, http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/ it will tell you who your current State Delegate and State Senator are as well as your one Congress member plus your House and your Senate District numbers.
Then to learn who the candidates running in you two Districts (House and Senate) go here, http://elections.virginia.gov/Files/CastYourBallot/CandidateList/2015GE-List_of_Candidates_By_Office_District_1.pdf for the full list of candidates pages 1-26 are House candidates and pages 27-37 are Senate candidates in order of district numbers.
Are you registered to vote? The deadline to register to vote in this year’s election is Oct. 13th at 5pm: http://elections.virginia.gov/registration/how-to-register/index.html .
Are you planning to submit an absentee ballot? Last Friday September the 18th was the first day for absentee ballots. The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot is Oct. 27 by-mail and Oct. 31 in-person: http://elections.virginia.gov/casting-a-ballot/absentee-voting/index.html .
Earlier this year 11 current Delegates and Senators announced their retirement at year end, they were:
- Delegate Mamye BaCote-D
- Delegate Rob Krupicka-D
- Delegate David Ramadan-R
- Delegate Thomas Rust-R
- Delegate Ed Scott-R
- Senator Charles Colgan-D
- Senator Jeff McWaters-R
- Senator Toddy Puller-D
- Senator Walter Stosch-R
- Senator Ralph Smith-R
- Senator John Watkins-R
On June 9th 2 current Delegates and 1 Senator lost their parties nomination opening up their districts seat to brand new representation in 2016, and they have been forced into retiring/stepping down at year end:
On June 9th 2 current Delegates who are running for Senator won their parties nomination opening up their House Districts seat to brand new representation in 2016, they are:
Also on June 9th Delegate Joe Preston-D and Delegate Michael Futrell-D ran for their party’s nomination as Senators, but they lost so they must both retire/step down at year end, opening up both House District seats to brand new representation in 2016.
That’s a minimum of 18 new Representatives for 2016 (2 of which could be current Delegates) just because of this years retirements and Primary loses.
The Virginia House:
· 56 out of the 100 House seats have Incumbent Candidates running unopposed. This means the one political party that has been in power since 2013 is running uncontested for 2015 and will be keeping the power for 56% of Virginias House Districts. Election Day results aren’t needed; we already know who these 56 “winners” are.
· 6 of the 100 House seats have brand new Candidates (because the Incumbent retired or the Incumbent lost the June Primary) who are running unopposed. Election Day results aren’t needed; we already know who these 6 “winners” are.
1. Lashrecse Aird
2. Christopher Collins
3. Steve Heretick
4. Nicholas Freitas
5. Mark Levine
6. Paul Krizek
So 62% of the 2016 Virginia House was already known by July 2015!
· 17 out of the 40 Senate seats have Incumbent Candidates running unopposed. This means the one political party that has been in power since 2011 is running uncontested for 2015 and will be keeping the power for 42.5% of Virginias Senate Districts. Election Day results aren’t needed; we already know who these 17 “winners” are.
42.5% of the 2016 Virginia Senate was already known by July 2015!
For more information on the 2015
Elections You Can Visit: Virginia
Also there are many, many local elections (Board of supervisors, Sheriff’s, Court Clerks, Treasurers, etc) this November including Commonwealth Attorneys, to see if your Prosecutor is running go to this link starting on page 73, http://elections.virginia.gov/Files/CastYourBallot/CandidateList/2015GE-List_of_Candidates_By_Office_Locality.pdf .
Get out and vote on November 3rd and if you can’t take the opportunity to educate your family and friends on the candidates!