Twitter

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Virginia Senator Uses VSP Registry Data to Shame Volunteer Advocate and Her Husband to Committee Members During General Assembly Hearings


Starting in May 2016 I began requesting meetings with 14 Virginia Delegates and Senators, some were newly elected, some have been around for a couple years and some I have been trying to get a meeting with for the last 7 years. 

From mid-May to today of the 14 requests I have sat down with 5 Virginia Legislators for 30 to 60 minutes and my husband was able to attend 3 of those meetings with me. 

I am pleased to say that all 5 of these meetings went very well and we’ve had some very bad meetings with Virginia Legislators or their Legislative Assistants over the last 7 years…..so I know a bad meeting when it happens. 

Of the remaining 9 requests that I have made, 2 have flat-out refused to meet with me because I’m not their constituent. It was funny because I ran into one of them this past Monday while we were waiting to go into a meeting and I reintroduced myself to him because he acted like he had no idea who I was or what my platform is about.  

1 other out of the 9 replied that they only schedule meetings during session, so I’ll be scheduling a meeting with her in January 2017. 

I will continue to try to get the other 6 requests booked before Thanksgiving, 2 of them I’ve been trying to meet with for the last 7 years. 

I considered posting which Virginia Delegates/Senators have flat-out refused to meet with me or the ones who just give me the run-around year in and year out........thinking that perhaps those of you who are their constituents could contact them and ask them to meet with me but I’ve decided against that. I will just keep chiseling-away at them and hope one day they will agree to a meeting with me on reforming the VSP Registry and our sexual statutes. 

BUT I am going to name one Virginia Legislator here today because I have learned just how petty and juvenile they have been towards me and my husband during Senate Courts of Justice Committee meetings over the years. 

I was advised by a Virginia Senator that their colleague Senator Tom Garrett (who is currently running for the U.S. Congress) has pulled up my husbands VSP Registry photograph during past GA session Senate Courts of Justice Committee meetings and showed it to the other members of the Committee while I’m speaking to the Committee or while my husband was speaking to the Committee (because I was down the hall covering a House Committee meeting). 


Over the years I have had some run-ins with Virginia Senator Tom Garrett some I’ve posted about but others I haven’t because it just wasn’t worth making them public, I actually try to be discrete when it comes to meetings, issues and conflicts with Virginia Legislators.

But now that I have learned Garrett intentionally attempted to discredit me and my husband to the Senate Committee members by showing the VSP posting behind the scenes………I’ve had enough! 

If Senator Tom Garrett wanted to discuss my husband's VSP posting he should have just said something to the entire room, I would have replied to his inquiry and so would my husband. We do not hide from the undeserved cloud of shame that hangs over our heads.

All meeting requests I've ever made with Garrett over the years were pawned of onto his Legislative Assistants, he would never meet with us.  

Senator Garrett went out of his way to shame us to his colleagues in the Senate but he never had the courage to sit down with me or my husband one-on-one.

I left Senator Garrett a voicemail about an hour and a half ago letting him know I was advised of his past actions against my husband and that I hope he doesn’t win the Congressional seat in November because I want to face him next year in the Senate Courts of Justice Committee now that I know about his unprofessional and juvenile behavior. 

Character, integrity and accountability are very important qualities and anyone who is voting this November in the 5th Congressional District should know if a candidate has professional character, integrity or takes accountability for bad behavior. 

The VSP Registry is not supposed to be punitive or used to harass those on it, but yet Virginia Senator Tom Garrett intentionally used the VSP Registries data to shame me and my husband behind our backs to every Committee member who already knows why we advocate (http://hamptonroads.com/2010/12/sex-offender-registry-result-legislative-predator-hysteria) so if Senator Garrett tries to claim he was just notifying the members of my husband’s status that would be 100% B.S. 

I’d say Washington, D.C. is the perfect place for Tom Garrett. It’s full of low character, no integrity, juvenile, bullying and zero accountability lawmakers. 

Mary Devoy