This post is Part 7 of If You Risk Nothing, You Gain Nothing…. http://goo.gl/r4QhA6.
#12 of my 28 Legislative Fixes (or Goals) has always been to eliminate the Virginia State Police USPS Certified Letters for Registered Sex Offender Re-Registrations which would save the State more than Half a Million Dollars EVERY year.
Instead of the VSP printing, processing and mailing USPS certified letters to every Virginia RSO 1-4 times per year we’d move to a rotating schedule for re-registration based on the RSO’s DOB.
In 2015 postage for Virginia State Police SO re-registration letters was $10.48 per letter, for a total of $584,333.00 on JUST postage to mail out 55,757 USPS Certified re-registration letters to our RSO’s the cost of printing and stuffing is an unknown.
For the last 8 years there have been numerous examples of re-registration letters never arriving at their destination (for a myriad of reasons beyond the recipient’s control) or arriving with less than 2 days to comply that I have previously posted about on this blog (http://goo.gl/v3CCBx , http://goo.gl/5KDbVY , http://goo.gl/jtfmIk) and/or emailed the Virginia Legislators about. Plus………. back in 2010 or 2011 the Virginia State Police arbitrarily REMOVED the next re-registration date from every RSO’s VSP online posting so RSO’s can no longer look up when to expect their next letter. Without their certified letter in-hand the VSP and local police/sheriff’s will NOT allow them to re-register.
There are States that set the re-registration months for their RSO’s based on their date-of-birth, their last name and how often they must register. Then the RSO knows year-in-and-year-out when their re-registration is due and it never changes.
- Those with last names beginning with A-L register from the 1st to the 15th of the month.
- Those with last names beginning with M-Z register from the 16th to the last day of the month.
- The below list would be posted on the VSP website.
- The below list would be handed out during VSP Residency Checks and In-Barrack Re-registrations for 6 to 9 months notifying all RSO’s that re-registration letters will stop going out and the first batch of handouts would have the start date of no more letters being mailed out.
- Copies of the below list would be stacked on the counter at every VSP Barracks.
- And the next re-registration due date for all RSO’s would be put back on every Offenders VSP On-line Posting.
- Some Offenders might re-register back-to back months when it first starts and some may go a bit longer than 6 or 12 months but it will all even out after the first year.