Twitter

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Virginia Registered Sex Offenders: Petitions for Relief from Registration or Re-registration, Removal and Authorization to be on School Property and to Attend School-Sponsored Events


One category in the “most asked questions” that I receive from readers/followers/supporters is based around the 3 kinds of Court Petitions mandated by Virginia law for Registered Sex Offenders.  

·         Petition for Authorization to be on School Property and to Attend ANY School-Sponsored Event (on or off school property) for those on the Virginia State Police SO Registry:
·         Petition for Relief from Registration or Re-registration on the Virginia State Police SO Registry:
·         Petition for Removal of Name and Information for Non-Violent Offenders from the Virginia State Police SO Registry:

The two most asked questions are:
  1. Can you recommend an attorney for a court petition?
  2. What kind of attorney do I hire to?
            My answers are:
    1. I do not recommend attorneys but whom ever you do hire should have had at least one successful petition before you, if they don’t I suggest you keep looking.
    2. Per my State Delegate you want a Criminal Attorney for all 3 of these court petitions.
Then the two most common follow up questions are:
  1. How long will the process take?
  2. How much will it cost?
            My answers are:
    1. I’ve heard the 3 processes vary but you should expect 6-18 months.
    2. The 3 processes vary. The School Petition is the least expensive $900-$1,600. The other two petitions are much more expensive because of the required therapist’s evaluations and court testimony, expect $3,000- $6,000. 
I hope this helps those of you who have been wondering about one of these petitions but hadn’t emailed me yet to ask. 

Mary Davye Devoy