Halloween is 3.5 weeks away which means news outlets everywhere will begin to run stories and write articles on Halloween Safety and Registered Sex Offenders.
Even the Virginia State Police have already posted their annual Halloween Safety and RSO’s page which seems early for them.
In a week or so I’ll post the Virginia RSO’s Do’s and Don’ts for Halloween that I have posted almost every year for the last 9 Halloweens. Just a reminder the only Don’ts in Virginia are for those RSO’s who are under VADOC Probation supervision.
As for today’s post it’s a list of links to past articles and studies (oldest to newest) on the subject of Halloween and Registered Sex Offenders not being an actual danger.
If any new articles are written this year or reports are released I’ll add them to this page.
Mary Davye Devoy
I- Past posts of articles on Halloween, the impending danger and Registered Sex Offenders:
- October 31, 2007- Sex offenders locked down, in the dark for Halloween
- October 18, 2010- Should police monitor sex offenders on Halloween?
- October 29, 2010- Halloween a night of security theater for sex offenders. Are sex offenders cruising for children on Halloween?
- October 24, 2011- The Halloween Sex Offender Myth
- October 30, 2011- Sex offenders: Halloween’s boogeyman. Registered abusers are being rounded up tonight to protect trick-or-treaters. How real is the threat, though?
- October 21, 2013- Manufacturing Fear: Halloween Laws for Sex Offenders
- October 25, 2013- Sex Offenders Have Become Our "Bogeymen", Allowing Anxiety not Facts to Write Our Laws
- October 30, 2013- Halloween Sex Offender Laws Are Unjustified
- October 15 , 2015- Johns Hopkins, Moore Center for the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse Weighs in on the Hysteria Against Registered Sex Offenders on Halloween
- October 28, 2015- The Marshall Project: Is Halloween Really More Dangerous for Kids? A Lack of Evidence Doesn’t Stop Cities from Rounding Up Sexual Offenders on the Holiday.
- October 30, 2015- How Dangerous are Sex Offenders on Halloween? OR Police to Keep Close Eye on Sex Offenders at Halloween OR Officers to keep close eye on sex offenders at Halloween The title of this article changed 3 times
- October 28, 2016- Are Halloween rules for sex offenders unjust?
II- Studies on Halloween and Registered Sex Offenders:
- How Safe Are Trick-or-Treaters? An Analysis of Child Sex Crime Rates on Halloween, by Mark Chaffin, Jill Levenson, Elizabeth Letourneau, and Paul Stern, 2009: http://sax.sagepub.com/content/21/3/363.abstract http://voice-of-reason.pbworks.com/f/Levenson-2009-Sex%20Crimes%20on%20Halloween.pdf
- The Specter of Sex Offenders on Halloween: Unmasking Cultural, Constitutional, and Criminological Concerns, by M. Benjamin Snodgrass, 2010: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/students/groups/oslj/files/2012/03/71.2.snodgrass.pdf